- Australia’s oldest and biggest city
- Gateway to Australia, set on one of the world’s most stunning harbours, which extends either side in a golden chain of easy-to-reach, inner-city beaches
Why go there
Sydney’s laid-back outdoor lifestyle and physical allure make it one of the world’s easiest and most pleasant cities to visit. The people who live here are a friendly, energetic bunch with a tell-it-like-it-is approach to life as visitors to the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games found out for themselves.
When it comes to which city is Australia’s true global city, there’s no argument. It’s Sydney – with its sense of style, its love of sport and exuberant celebrations including New Year’s Eve and Australia Day.
All of its attributes lie within easy reach of the city centre. Sydney’s harbour is its natural playground, the dominant factor in so much of what the city has to offer. The city has a wide-ranging cultural life, dynamic food scene and vibrant cityscape of outstanding contemporary and colonial architecture. Iconic beaches and five major national parks deliver unforgettable experiences.
- Catching the perfect wave at famous Bondi or Palm beaches.
- Dining waterside in the historic Rocks precinct, by the beach at Balmoral or on the wharf at Woolloomooloo Wharf.
- Climbing to the very top of Sydney Harbour Bridge’s huge, over-arching span, by day or night with BridgeClimb.
- Seeing the native fruit bats and 30 hectares of themed gardens in the Royal Botanic Gardens on a guided Aboriginal heritage tour.
- Catching the ferry to Manly or a harbour cruise at sunset – or anytime – for one of Sydney’s most popular experiences.
- Learning about Australia’s unique animals, overlooking the harbour, at Taronga Zoo or at Sydney Wildlife World, Darling Harbour.
- Being inspired by a wonderful, magical performance at the Sydney Opera House or enthralled by one of the best Aboriginal art collections in the world at the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
- Taking a skippered yacht or an adrenalin-pumping jet boat from Darling Harbour.