- Elegant village with harbour views
- Lower north shore
- 25-minute ferry ride from Circular Quay
Why go there
Positioned on the harbour and blessed with several pocket-sized harbour beaches, Mosman is one of Sydney’s most sophisticated shopping areas. You will find designer boutiques, antiques shops and hip cafés strung out along Military Road, as well as the renowned Taronga Zoo.
For nature lovers, Mosman offers spectacular bushwalks through Bradley and Middle Heads, part of the Sydney Harbour National Park. On Mosman’s eastern side is Balmoral Beach, with its winding promenade walk, where locals keep in touch while exercising themselves, their children and their dogs. There’s a strip of cafés and restaurants, enclosed harbour baths and wonderful picnic spots.
Things to do
- Swim and watch the windsurfers at Balmoral Beach.
- Hire a kayak, rowing boat or sailing boat to explore Middle Harbour from The Spit.
- Take shopping seriously on Mosman’s Military Road, with a selection of designer boutiques and homewares stores.
- Visit the fine colonial building, the Tearoom at Gunners’ Barracks, for lunch or afternoon tea.
- Discover historic fortifications and walks with harbour views.
- Check out the Spit waterfront recreation area.
- A ride on the Sky Safari cable car at Taronga Zoo.
- Dining at the elegant Bathers’ Pavilion, a 1928 Spanish-Moorish-style building that offers modern Australian cuisine.
- Shakespeare by the Sea in Balmoral during summer.
- Twilight concerts at Taronga Zoo during summer.