- Hills, forests and valleys
- Famous for its heritage villages and old world charm
- 90 minutes’ drive south of Sydney
Why go there
It’s easy to relax and unwind among the gentle green hills of the Southern Highlands, where a cool climate and rich soil have produced excellent wines and beautiful, formal gardens.
Good food is on offer throughout the area at country inns and restaurants, farmers’ markets and produce shops packed with local fare.
Enjoy genuine country hospitality in a cosy B&B or a grand country manor. De-stress with a soothing spa treatment, luxuriate in a lavender-scented bath or smell the perfume of spring blossoms in season.
Things to do
- Follow the Southern Highlands Food and Wine Trail to cellar doors and various food stalls, cafés and farmers’ markets.
- Go bushwalking in Morton National Park, where the Fitzroy Falls are a highlight.
- Discover Berrima, established in 1831, a well preserved Georgian colonial town.
- Tee off at one of the excellent public or private golf courses.
- Browse in antique shops packed with furniture, china and estate jewellery.
- Bundanoon is Brigadoon, Bundanoon, in April.
- Cool Flavours of the Southern Highlands, June
- Bowral Tulip Time, Bowral, during September and October.
- VAUDE Highlands Fling, Bundanoon, in November.
- Annual Southern Highlands Christmas Fair, Sutton Forest at Southern Highlands Wines, each December