- Village lifestyle amidst rural setting
- South-west of Sydney
- One hour drive from Sydney centre
Why go there
The villages of the Wollondilly region - including Picton, Thirlmere, Appin, Bargo and Warragamaba - retain the tranquillity of small country towns. The region's farms and villages, natural attractions and vast wilderness areas are a haven for nature-loving visitors with Thirlmere Lakes National Park a major natural drawcard.
Rich in colonial and late-Victorian architecture, Picton also has many cafés, arts and craft shops. Nearby Thirlmere Rail Heritage Centre has the largest collection of steam locomotives and heritage trains in Australia. You can also choose from a variety of adventure sports, ranging from sky-diving to go karting.
Things to do
- Discover Picton's fine heritage architecture on a self-guided walking tour.
- Have a beer at Picton's George IV Inn, one of the oldest hotels in the country.
- Take the kids to Mowbray Park Farmstay, just one hours' drive from Sydney Airport. This working farm has cattle, sheep and horses.
- Enjoy picnicking by one of the five dams in the region such as Warragamba, surrounded by bushland and with bbqs and gardens.