- Beaches near the Clyde River estuary
- Famous for its rivers, bays and wildlife
- Four hours’ drive south of Sydney
Why go there
A stunning coastline of beaches, river estuaries and craggy headlands makes Batemans Bay and Eurobodalla ideal holiday destinations.
Cruise the pristine Clyde River, the cleanest of all the major rivers on Australia’s east coast, or explore the region’s many historic villages, where you can relax in cafés, wander through craft galleries and snap up local artworks.
Eleven kilometres off Narooma, Montague Island’s clear waters teem with fish that are hunted by the island’s colony of Australian fur seals.
Things to do
- Walk to the peak of Mount Dromedary (Gulaga), a sacred site for the local Yuin people.
- Go reef fishing at Batemans Bay.
- Treat yourself to fresh seafood, especially Clyde River oysters.
- Meet the grey kangaroos at Pebbly Beach.
- Drive to Nelligen, a pretty village about 10 km upstream from Batemans Bay.
- A tour of Montague Island, with its historic lighthouse and fur seals, Fairy penguins and seabirds.
- A visit to Mogo Zoo to see rare and endangered animals or nearby Birdland to meet koalas, wombats and native birds.
- Foxglove Spires open garden, at Tilba Tilba, regarded as one of Australia’s best.
- Old Mogo Town, an 1850s gold rush theme park near Batemans Bay.
- A cruise along the Clyde River, which winds through thickly forested valleys, national parks and state forests.
- The historic cheese factory and craft shops at Central Tilba, built in the 1890s.
- Narooma Blues Festival, in September/October.